~Please call Luke or Vandy at 307-674-6679 with any questions regarding the Contest~
A plain saddle can tell just as much about the maker as a fancy tooled one. We wanted to host a competition that would focus on the mechanics of leather working versus the decorative aspects of the trade. We figured a roughout saddle is a platform on which to compare makers without the distraction of stamping or tooling. A roughout saddle also takes less time to complete and is usually cheaper to make. Our hope is that makers could potentially fill an order with the contest entry or easily sell the saddle after the show.
A competition can bring craftspeople together to learn and discuss their trade with like-minded individuals. We are encouraging all makers to attend the event and are working to make the prize packages worthy of a trip to Pendleton, Oregon. Of course, attendees can shop the trade show for all the tools, leather and supplies they might desire. Other saddle makers will be attendance and the fellowship that can come out of exhibits like this can be priceless. Learning more about your trade might be a side-effect of a short weekend in a famous saddle making town.
The judging of any contest can be the most controversial aspect. While we realize we cannot please everyone, we are starting with a straight forward set of guidelines for the makers. Each saddle will be separately and independently scored by a panel of three judges and scored according to the contest rules and score sheet. Each entry will receive his/her score sheet at the end of the competition giving immediate and excellent feedback for the contestants.
Around 55% of the entry fees collected will be used for the prize packages. The other 45% will be used to promote the contest through various media. All prizes will be posted on this site and we will update the list as we progress.
With so many people attending this show in the Northwest region, we wanted to involve local leatherworkers in the saddle competition. Each registered trade show participant (attendee, student, teacher, vendor etc) will be able to cast one vote towards People’s Choice Award. The votes will be tallied on Saturday and the saddle receiving the most votes from the public will win the People’s Choice Award.
Please check out the rest of the information regarding the show and contest and always feel free to call and ask any questions you may have.
2015 Roughout Saddle Contest Rules and Guidelines
- $100 Entry Fee. Due OCTOBER 15th, 2015 payable to: Sheridan Leather Outfitters 2047 Coffeen Ave, Sheridan, WY 82801. After Oct 15th, $200 entry fee. Non-refundable, unfortunately.
- Each saddlemaker may only enter one saddle, made within 2015 and in “New” condition. Used saddles will be allowed at the judges’ discretion.
- Saddles must be made by a single individual. Saddles made in a training or school environment are not allowed.
- Saddles can be for sale; Pendleton Leather Show will not take any Sales Commission from sales.
- Three judges will each independently and separately score each entry based on a universal score sheet. Each contestant will receive their score sheet at the end of the contest.
- Saddles must be at the Pendleton Convention Center by 9 AM, November 5th, 2015 and will remain on display until 4 PM November 7th, 2015.
- All contestants will provide a saddle stand for their entry.
Acceptable for Entry:
- Any style saddle tree
- Any style rigging
- Saddle must be functioning; strings, latigos, billets etc. Stirrups and cinch are optional
- Horn wrap of chap, skirting, latigo, mulehide, elk
- Cantle and horn can be bound in the following materials: rawhide, roughout latigo or roughout skirting
- Simple creased or beaded border
- Makers mark, logo, brand, serial number normally used by the saddle maker
Acceptable but not applied to a score: silver conchos or hardware, brand or initial on horn, cantle or fender
Unacceptable for Entry:
- Any stamping or tooling
- Inlays or overlays
- Dyed edges
- Half Breeds
- Padded seats
- Bucking rolls
- Swivel knife cuts or any additional decorative marks
Prize Payout Schedule and Prize List
- 25% total entry fees
- 60% total value of prizes
- 15% total entry fees
- 30% total value of prizes
- 10% total entry fees
- 10% total value of prizes
- 5% total entry fees
Donated by Sheridan Leather, approximate value $3000
- 2 sides 13/15oz Hermann Oak Skirting #1
- 2 sides 12/14oz Wickett & Craig Russet Skirting Std grade
- 1 side 9/10oz Thoroughbred Latigo
- 1 side 6/7oz Thoroughbred Latigo
- 1 side 9/10oz Big Horn Latigo
- 1 side 6/7oz Big Horn Latigo
- 2 hides 12+ sheepskins
- 1 Brass Flat Plate rigging hardware package
- 1 Stainless Steel Flat Plate rigging hardware package
- 2 Bill Bean seat tins
- 1 side Chrome Elk
- 1 side Mulehide
- $100 donated by Lisa Sorrell
- $100 worth of Bee Natural products
Entries are OPEN…. Click here to Enter!