We are pleased to announce a Roughout Saddle Contest at this years’ Pendleton Leather Show. This contest will be the first of it’s kind–ONLY roughout saddle are eligible. We already have prizes valued at over $3000, and more to be added in the coming months. This is an overview of the contest; please feel free to call Sheridan Leather with any questions.
2015 Roughout Saddle Contest Rules and Guidelines
- $100 Entry Fee. Due OCTOBER 15th, 2015 payable to: Sheridan Leather Outfitters 2047 Coffeen Ave, Sheridan, WY 82801. After Oct 15th, $200 entry fee. Non-refundable, unfortunately.
- Each saddlemaker may only enter one saddle, made within 2015 and in “New” condition. Used saddles will be allowed at the judges’ discretion.
- Saddles must be made by a single individual. Saddles made in a training or school environment are not allowed.
- Saddles can be for sale; Pendleton Leather Show will not take any Sales Commission from sales.
- Three judges will each independently and separately score each entry based on a universal score sheet. Each contestant will receive their score sheet at the end of the contest.
- Saddles must be at the Pendleton Convention Center by 9 AM, November 5th, 2015 and will remain on display until 4 PM November 7th, 2015.
Acceptable for Entry:
- Any style saddle tree
- Any style rigging
- Saddle must be functioning; strings, latigos, billets etc. Stirrups and cinch are optional
- Horn wrap of chap, skirting, latigo, mulehide, elk
- Cantle and horn can be bound in the following: rawhide or roughout latigo or skirting
- Simple creased or beaded border
- Makers mark, logo, brand, serial number normally used by the saddle maker
Acceptable but not applied to a score: silver conchos or hardware, brand or initial on horn, cantle or fender
Unacceptable for Entry:
- Any stamping or tooling
- Inlays or overlays
- Dyed edges
- Half Breeds
- Padded seats
- Bucking rolls
- Swivel knife cuts or any additional decorative marks